Thursday, June 24, 2010

Ok, Just Quit It

It's hard to stop thinking thoughts that you've been thinking for a long, long time. Self destructive thoughts not intended to propel one into any positive direction, but instead, to send one spiraling down a path of self-defeating loathing.

It's tempting to divert attention from a solution and to focus on the reason. Why, why, why? Maybe my mom didn't bond with me. Maybe my parents were unprepared for a child such as I. Maybe it was a genetic malfunction or maybe I just like feeling sorry for myself. In the end, the whys don't change the now. I can forgive my mother, forgive my parents, forgive myself, but it doesn't change the the core beliefs about myself. I know, I've tried. The thoughts may be chased away with any tool one chooses to use; positive thinking, mad busyness, old mental brooms, but they always sneak back like a roach searching for food in the dark. I empathize with people who kill themselves. I won't, because I don't want to piss God off, but I understand it.

But frankly, I'm tired of the mental monkey on my back. I live with a constant slow burning fear. Nothing is black and white. Every fear has it's own shade of color.

So what's the solution? Who am I kidding? I don't know. The only thing I know is to keep moving forward through the fear, in faith. I keep on writing, though no one reads me, as if I am a real writer; going to work, though I constantly mess up, as if I am a good secretary; trying to eat right, get exercise, keep myself well-groomed as if I am an attractive woman, though I don't believe it; and trudging forward spiritually and in relationships with others, although it's difficult and sometimes I'm difficult and indifferent.

I want to just quit it, but that doesn't work for me. There are periods of relief, when things work out despite my inherent belief in failure. Those are wondrous moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment